LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, August 05, 2011

in an alternate reality, TRESE was nominated for a Hugo Award

What I Would Have Nominated for the Hugos If I Weren't Such a Goober
by Andrew Wheeler

In the end, though, these five books below are the ones I should have nominated, and, in some better world, I have to hope that I actually did so. Some are pretty obscure, but all are distinctive, powerful works of imagination that both entertain and provoke thought, and all are, in my humble opinion, entirely worthy of the Hugo award: 
 
Trese: Mass Murders by Budjette Tan and KaJo Baldisimo. Yes, I know that it's probably impossible to find in North America, and that it could never have gotten on the ballot. But it's some of the very best urban fantasy I've ever seen, set in a distinctive culture I don't already know everything about, with wonderfully atmospheric art from Baldisimo.

Andrew Wheeler has toiled in book publishing for 20 years. He spent 16 years as a bookclub editor (for the SFBC and others), and is now a Marketing Manager for John Wiley & Sons. He was a judge for the 2005 World Fantasy Awards and the 2008 Eisner Awards. He also reviewed a book a day for a year. He lives with The Wife and two mostly tame sons (Thing One, twelve; and Thing Two, ten) at an unspecified location in suburban New Jersey. He has been known to drive a minivan, and nearly all of his writings are best read in a tone of bemused sarcasm. Antick Musings’s manifesto is here. All opinions expressed here are entirely and purely those of Andrew Wheeler, and no one else.

No comments: